Tuesday 25 November 2014

Verbage: Using more verbs in lesson planning

I'm taking a class at the University of Saskatchewan called Philosophy and Practice of Teaching. It's a fantastic class. One of the things that has inspired me recently is a list of verbs to help guide learning objectives. We use the list to ensure that our goals for classes and units are measurable and attainable. In addition to that, however, it's got me thinking about what other kinds of activities I can introduce in order to make use of some verbs that I don't often think about.



So I find myself implicitly using "debate," "discuss," and "analyze," but how could I teach English using "dramatize" or "perform"? How can my students "propose," "invent," or "produce"? Perhaps not all of these words are particularly useful in an English context, but what if they could be?

Lots to think about!

No comments:

Post a Comment